http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/HeartFluttersBanner3copy.jpg

Ellie and GB

Ellie and GB
Ellie and her girl.

GB

GB
Ellie's Girl

Ellie

Ellie
Ellie at home with Gadget

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Finally!

After the last week of snow and three days of a fever, Ellie and I got to do some serious training today. We reviewed all the basics, and then went outside without the leash. We have a wrap around driveway and only the street side of the yard is unfenced. I brought a handful bacon and cheese wraps, cut into 1" pieces. I used 'heel' when we started walking. Every three or four feet, if Ellie was still healing, she got a treat and a 'good Ellie'. If she wasn't, I told her to wait, ans when I caught up, I stopped and had her sit, then gave her a treat. Again, I used 'heel' as we started walking. By the second time around the house, I was just giving her a treat every three feet, along with a reminder to 'heel'. Then we played with her kong ball as a reward. I would throw it across the yard and Ellie would fetch it and bring it back. She needs a 'leave it' reminder and then she drops it at my feet and we did it all over again. I watched for her attention wavering, having saved one last treat. When she seemed to be losing interest, I said, "Ellie in" she ran up the steps and sat and waited for me. After I opened the door and went in,I said OK and Ellie came in. She sat right in front of me and waited for me to give her the last treat. I can't wait for spring. Ellie loves to be outside is it is not cold, icy, or wet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just now saw that you have this blog too-I am so interested to hear how you got Ellie. Who did you apply through to get Ellie? I've always wanted a service dog for Andrew. From what I've learned they are very expensive! Plus unusual to get one for FASD. When you have time would you mind telling me more about how you got her? She is a beautiful dog-it's so nice that GB has her and Ellie has GB!

    ReplyDelete